When it’s time for your baby to start eating solid foods, a high chair becomes a vital addition to your baby gear collection. With an endless variety of models and features to choose, it’s hard to know where to begin to find the best high chair. We’ve created this review to help guide you through the different options so you can figure out which features are important to you. As a start, here is a list of our top 5 high chairs:
Top 5 High Chairs
The Italian, family-owned Peg Perego company has been in the baby products business for more than 60 years. They have a reputation for stylish and innovative baby gear, such as their Peg Perego Siesta High Chair. This high-quality chair includes features like:
- Five-position reclining seat, including fully reclining for infants
- Adjustable to nine different heights, letting child sit right at the table
- Non-marking caster wheels with auto-lock
- Removable tray
- Easy and compact standalone fold
- Wipe-clean fabric
- Accommodates children from birth through the toddler years
The multifunctional Peg Perego Siesta High Chair is a sleek and ultra-compact high chair. We like that it can be used from birth, reclining all the way back so newborns can rest comfortably. The faux leather fabric is water-proof and very durable, great for quick cleanups. Parents appreciate the chair’s smooth height adjustment and that you can recline the chair and remove the tray with just one hand. Add in some nifty features like standing fold and a higher seat height than most other chairs, and you have yourself a nicely-outfitted product. Though this high chair is relatively pricey, we feel that all the extra features and the quality construction make it worth the money.
Graco, the creators of the infant swing and the Pack ‘N Play, brings us their Graco Blossom 4 in 1 Convertible High Chair Seating System. This high chair really grows with your child, converting into four different seating modes as needed. The full list of features includes:
- Converts from high chair to infant feeding booster, toddler booster, and youth chair, to a maximum weight of 60 pounds
- An innovative design that lets you simultaneously seat two children at the table. Use the highchair and toddler booster at the same time, or the infant seat and youth chair
- Adjusts to six different height positions
- Three-position reclining seat
- Three-position removable footrest
- Adjustable three- and five-point harness
- Extra head and body support for infants
- Detachable seat back insert for the toddler booster seat
- One-handed tray removal with dishwasher-safe insert
- Front wheels and lockable rear casters for easy mobility
- Machine-washable seat pad
You will definitely get a lot of use out of the Graco Blossom 4 in 1 Convertible High Chair Seating System, especially if you have more than one child. We like how it transitions along with your maturing child, and can be used for two children at the same time. Also popular with parents are the narrow wheel base, great maneuverability, one-handed tray operation, and the 3 tray layers, which make cleanup a breeze. The only downside may be that the tray doesn’t sit flush against baby’s tummy, leaving a gap for food to drop through. Overall, we think this affordable high chair will be a big hit for growing families.
The Abiie Beyond Wooden High Chair with Tray is a versatile, high-quality chair that is useful at every stage of a child’s growth. This high chair comes with:
- EZ Seat System lets you adjust the seat and footrest heights, from toddler size to traditional dining chair height for any age
- Tray cover can be removed with one hand and is dishwasher-safe
- Option to use five-point or three-point harness
- Sturdy frame that won’t tip over
- Composite foam cushion is waterproof for quick cleanup
- Scratch-resistant wood finish is durable and won’t harm floors
- Eco-friendly wood which underwent anti-microbial heat sterilization
- Sleek design means the chair has a minimal footprint
- Can be used without the tray so baby can sit safely at the dinner table
- Accommodates a 6-month child all the way up to a 250-pound adult
The unique and stylish Abiie Beyond Wooden High Chair with Tray is one of the most durable wooden high chairs on the market and its modern design will complement any décor. We were wowed by its capacity to transition from baby high chair to toddler seat, and even to adult dining chair. Testing showed that the seat and straps are easy to clean, and the chair is indeed sturdy and doesn’t rock. Some minor issues we encountered were that the buckle and tray weren’t very easy to operate, and the tray wasn’t deep enough for standard plate sizes. Nonetheless, this high chair is a very practical and useful option, and we can’t help but admire the beautiful wood finish.
More than just a place to sit and enjoy meals, the Fisher-Price Rainforest Healthy Care High Chair is also a fun and colorful play area, thanks to the chair’s rainforest-themed toy. Its array of features includes:
- Removable toy with lights, music, and sounds to develop visual and fine motor skills
- Tethered toy attached to tray
- Three-position reclining seat
- Adjusts to seven different height positions
- Removable newborn pillow for infant support
- One-handed tray removal and dishwasher-safe tray insert
- Detachable chair pad and straps for easy washing
- Uses 3 AA batteries (not included)
With its easy assembly and solid construction, the Fisher-Price Rainforest Healthy Care High Chair is a favorite with many parents. We like how the tray can be adjusted or removed in two different ways: either one-handed sliding or with a two-handed lift. The crotch bar has the perfect height for keeping baby securely in the seat, and the straight-edged tray prevents food from dropping into baby’s lap. Though there are some minor problems with the chair staying in its folded position, parents absolutely love that the rainforest toy entertains baby long enough for mom and dad to cook or clean up.
BABYBJORN has a reputation for high-quality, safe, and innovative baby products, and the BABYBJORN High Chair is no exception. This ergonomically-designed chair keeps baby safe and comfortable, and makes mealtime a breeze. The chair includes:
- Curved backrest supports baby and promotes a proper posture for toddlers
- Built-in, removable table that sits snugly against baby’s body, keeping baby secure in the seat and decreasing spills and mess
- Two-step lock is childproof and keeps child safely and firmly restrained
- Safety harness that meets ASTM standards
- Compact design takes up less space and lets children sit close to the table
- Made from durable plastic with rounded surfaces, making it easy to wipe clean
- Folds flat to only 10 inches deep, perfect for traveling or storing
- Accommodates children from 6 months to 3 years
- Easy assembly, simply inserting the four legs into the chair
- All materials have been tested to meet plastic safety standards in Europe and the U.S., and are certified safe for foods.
Developed with the input of pediatricians, there is no doubt that the BABYBJORN High Chair is a safe, comfortable, and high-quality chair. In addition, we’ve found that it fits well in tight spaces, is suitable for travel, and the snug fit of the tray is good for keeping your child in an upright sitting position (and for reducing the amount of food that falls into baby’s lap). Though compact and lightweight, it still fits larger toddlers easily. Parents like how the lower height of the tray lets children see into their bowl, and the lack of nooks and crannies mean it’s super easy to clean. There may be some issues with maneuverability and the fact that the buckles can’t be removed for washing, but these are minor inconveniences. As a whole, this high chair brings all the safety and comfort your child needs, in a compact, no-frills design.
Choosing a High Chair
What is a high chair?
A high chair is a secure seat where your baby or toddler can eat or learn how to feed themselves. It has a food tray and is high enough so that your child can be at table height with the rest of the family, and you don’t have to bend over to feed him or her. High chairs become useful when baby starts eating solid foods, typically around six months old. Many models can transition with your growing child, continuing to be of use until your child is three years old.
Why buy a high chair?
There are many options for where baby can sit during mealtime, but a high chair is undoubtedly the safest, most comfortable, and least messy choice. It straps your child in securely, provides the best upright position for eating, and helps keep your child (and your floor) clean. And your child can join in with the family at the table, which is important for developing social and linguistic skills.
High Chair Features to Look For:
When shopping for a high chair, there are some factors and features you might want to keep in mind:
- Ease of use: Your high chair will get a lot of use, probably multiple times every day. It should be convenient, simple, and easy to use, or you’ll waste a lot of your time and energy struggling with it and feeling frustrated.
- Adjustable height: This is useful if you want to feed your baby at the table or at the height that matches your chair. It will also add longevity to your high chair if it can be adjusted to suit your growing child.
- Harness: Current safety standards require only a three-point harness, but a five-point harness is more secure. Either way, it should be easy to adjust for a safe, snug fit. Other things to look for are easy-to-clean or removable straps and a one-hand release for the buckle.
- Reclining seat: If your child tends to fall asleep after eating, then a reclining seat may come in handy. The most comfortable reclining high chairs tilt the seat and footrest along with the back of the chair. Other chairs recline just the back of the seat, which may or may not be an issue for your baby’s comfort. Remember that for children other than bottle-feeding infants, the seat shouldn’t be reclined while eating, since that increases the risk of choking.
- Crotch post: The fixed center crotch post (or crotch restraint) is the vertical bar between baby’s legs that prevents them from slipping out of the chair and under the tray. The post is usually attached to the seat, but some models have it as part of the tray. If it is attached to the tray, you probably won’t be able to put the tray flat on the counter or fit it into your dishwasher.
- Adjustable tray: The ability to move the tray closer to or further from baby will ensure comfort and a secure fit. The tray should also be easy to operate, whether adjusting or removing it. Tray inserts are very convenient for keeping the chair and eating surface clean.
- Foldability: When you need to get your high chair out of the way, a folding function is nice to have. Some models are so compact when folded, they can be stored in a small space or brought along when traveling. Check that the high chair has a mechanism to prevent accidental folding while your child is seated in it.
- Fabric or seat covers: Look for high chairs with seat pads or covers that can be easily wiped clean or removed for machine washing. Vinyl is easier to keep clean than fabric, but vinyl also tends to crack and tear with age. More recent models have foam rubber seat covers which are a cinch to clean.
- Footprint: A high chair’s footprint refers to how much space it occupies. If the size of your dining area is a concern, then a sleek, simple design will likely have a smaller footprint, and would work better in tight spaces.
- Wheels: If you need your high chair to be portable from room to another, or even for a few inches so you can clean underneath it, then wheels will be an important feature. They should make the chair maneuverable and easy to push, while not damaging the floor. There should also be brakes that are sturdy and easy to engage and release.
- Ease of assembly: Some high chairs come in several parts and require tools (and loads of patience) to put together. Others, like the BABYBJORN High Chair that we reviewed, arrive pretty much in one piece needing only the 4 legs to be popped in. Don’t forget to consult the instruction manual for any long-term maintenance tips, like periodic tightening of connectors.
A high chair is essential for keeping your baby safe and comfortable during mealtime. Ideally, this item will serve its purpose for several years, and possibly for more than one child, so choosing the right one can be difficult. Whether your priority is longevity, durability, price, or compact design, there is a high chair that perfectly suits your needs and lifestyle.