While you’re lying wide awake at night it might feel like you’re the only one unable to sleep.
But you’re not alone. Research shows that at least a third of the US population suffers from insomnia and that 10 million Americans are currently taking some form of prescription sleep aid.
If you’re suffering from insomnia but prefer to use natural cures, here we have the top homeopathic remedies for insomnia.
1. Organize Your Daily Routine
One of the best homeopathic remedies for insomnia is to make your daily routine more conducive to sleeping well.
And since a good ending to the day requires a good beginning, your sleep-promoting routine should start from the moment you get up:
- Make the bed to mark the start of a new day. A made bed is also more inviting to get into when bedtime rolls around.
- Exercise early to boost energy levels for the day ahead and help regulate the circadian rhythms that lead to better sleep. Exercising at night can make you too alert.
- Keep a ‘To-Do’ list and check off completed tasks. This helps you to prioritize what’s really important and encourages a sense of achievement.
- Wind down around 30-60 minutes before bedtime. Turn off your devices and do something that makes you sleepy, such as taking a warm bath, meditating or reading. Although it might not be easy if you’re a parent, it’s important to take time for yourself to manage the stress that can lead to insomnia.
As well as our daily habits, what we eat and drink and when can have an effect on our sleeping patterns:
- Avoid caffeine later in the day. It’s an obvious one but the cut-off point is different for everybody. Try to test out whether avoiding caffeinated drinks earlier than usual helps you to sleep better.
- Alcohol leads to disrupted sleep so avoid it to feel more rested in the morning.
- Eating a heavy meal late at night means that your body is busy digesting food instead of relaxing. Try to eat a lighter dinner and finish eating at least two hours before your bedtime.
- Make changes to your diet to include more nutrients that encourage relaxation and promote sleep. These are tryptophan (found in bananas, turkey, and yogurt), B6 (found in oatmeal, sunflower seeds, and oily fish), and magnesium (found in leafy greens, Brazil nuts, and soy).
3. Consider a Supplement
You may also want to consider homeopathic remedies for insomnia in the form of a supplement. These are likely to include some of the following natural ingredients:
- Melatonin: a sleep-inducing hormone produced by the body in reaction to a reduction in sunlight
- 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan): this serotonin precursor is naturally occurring in the body, and helps to regulate sleep and improve mood.
- Magnesium: promotes relaxation and reduces stress.
- GABA: a neurotransmitter that helps calm down brain cells.
- Zinc: the body needs zinc to produce melatonin.
- Calming Herbs: including chamomile and Valerian.
WARNING: Remember that if you are taking any prescription medications you should check with your doctor before taking supplements as there is always a chance of an interaction.
Do you have any recommendations for homeopathic remedies for insomnia? Comment below to join in the conversation, and don’t forget to subscribe to receive regular email updates from me!